Monday, May 9, 2011

Let's Go Outside!

One of my daughter's favorite things to do is 'go side!' (go outside!).  It doesn't matter what we're doing, where we are, if its hot or if its cold...she wants to go.  I hope she never loses that love.  

Years ago I coordinated kids' programming for a local church.  During one of the evening programs we didn't have much teaching time and it was beautiful so I sent the kids outside to the playground (a HUGE school playground) to play.  That night was the moment I realized how different the kids of today are.  I had a little boy and girl look at me with complete confusion when I told everyone to head out the doors. 

This is the conversation that took place.
Kid:  'But what are we going to do?'  (SERIOUSLY!) 
Me: 'Play'.  
Kid:'Can I take my video game?'
 Me: 'No, just go outside and play?'
Kid: 'But what am I going to DO?
Me: 'I'll bet you can figure it out, or go ask your friends.'  
Kid: 'Fine!'


I was baffled.  A 6 year old kid didn't know 'what to do' when sent outside to play.  What is wrong with this picture?  EVERYTHING!


I grew up and remember countless hours shooting free throws on the driveway, riding bikes in our neighborhood, playing on our play set in the backyard, playing catch, you name it.  Sure, we had TV with lots of channels and at one point in my life our living room was graced with the presence of a Nintendo featuring Mario Brothers, Contra, and Tetris.  But these were minor parts of our day, a last resort primarily used on days when we were rained or snowed inside.  


I hate to see what is happening to our kids today.  We talk day-in and day-out about childhood obesity and the failing health of our kids.  Usually the ones talking about it are the worst about getting their kids active.  They have the kids who can't leave the house without taking their DVD player or video game.  Now, don't get me wrong, my daughter loves a good Dora or Veggie Tales video.  She's learned some great things from those videos.  Dora helped teach her how to count to 10.  She sings a song about being thankful thanks to Madame Blueberry.  There is value to some forms of media (emphasis on some).  As in life with everything else from your diet to workouts the best things come in moderation.  There's nothing wrong with your kids playing video games, that is, until it turns into a 5 or 6 hour a day practice.  


Set limits.  Be a good example. PLEASE don't be that parent that makes exercise and activity a chore.  NEVER tell your kids they are fat or need to go on a diet.  Make activity a way of life for your family.  I challenge to you parents out there to turn off the TV, put away the video games and get your kids outside.  Get them ACTIVE!  We will never make a tiny bit of difference in the health problems affecting our kids until we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment